Questions To Ask Your Plastic Surgeon At Your Consultation
General Questions About Your Surgeon
- What made you decide to become a cosmetic plastic surgeon?
- How long have you been practicing as a cosmetic plastic surgeon?
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Are you certified by any other medical specialty board?
- If not, why not?
- Have you ever been disciplined by the state medical board?
- Have you been involved in any medical malpractice suits? If so, how many?
- How long have you been performing breast augmentation?
- How many breast augmentation surgeries do you perform per month?
- Have you performed a breast augmentation on anyone of your staff? May I speak to her?
- How many revisions of your own work, on average, do you perform?
Breast Implant Concerns and Questions
- What breast implant manufacturer and implant type do you prefer and why?
- Which do you prefer, silicone or saline, and why?
- I have heard that tapered (anatomical) implants and round implants produce about the same results if placed sub-pectorally (under the muscle). Is this true?
- If I choose to have implants that are smaller than 240 cc or larger than 800 cc, can you accommodate that?
- Which do you prefer, smooth implants or textured implants? Why?
- Can you explain the warranties on breast implants to me? If an implant ruptures while under warranty, what fees will I have to pay? Can I have that in writing?
- I have heard that saline implants can be "overfilled" to help reduce the incidence of rupturing. Is this true and do you make a practice of overfilling?
- What breast size would you recommend for my body frame and how did you come to that recommendation?
- What size implant do you think I'll need to achieve this size?
- Will I be able to breastfeed after I have implants put in? What about if I have a combination of implants and a breast lift?
- Do you think I need a breast lift? If so, what kind will I need?
- Will you have to lower my natural crease?
- Which incision placement do you prefer and/or recommend for me?
- Do you perform transumbilical breast augmentation (TUBA)? If not, why not?
- If I need a lift with my augmentation, will you use the lift incisions to insert my implants?
- Do you prefer to place implants under or over the muscle?
- What about full (or complete) submuscular placement. Do you offer this?
- If you do offer full submuscular placement, what incision do you use?
Risks, Contraindications, and Complications
- What are the possible risks and complications for breast augmentation and breast implants?
- Are there any unforeseen problems associated with breast implants that I should be aware of?
- How could I tell if I have had an implant rupture?
- How often does bottoming out occur in your practice, and have you been successful in correcting it? If this occurs, will the corrective surgery expenses be covered by you?
- How often does capsular contracture happen in your experience? What can be done if it does happen?
- If I get capsular contracture and need revision surgery, how much extra will it cost to correct this?
- Will it be more difficult to detect breast cancer or have mammograms once I get breast implants?
- What about the complications in implant placement, such as symmastia? Do you disrupt the natural cleavage or dissect the tissue over the sternum to create a closer cleavage? If I get symmastia, can you correct it? And will the revision expenses be covered by you?
- Must I keep to a special diet before surgery? If so, starting how many days before surgery?
- (If applicable) I smoke. How far in advance of the surgery should I quit?
- Do I have to buy special postoperative supplies such as bandaging, antiseptic soaps, ice packs, antibiotic creams, or surgical bras?
- Do you suggest I take any vitamins and supplements before my surgery, such as vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, or Coenzyme Q-10?
- I have heard arnica montana helps with the swelling and bruising if taken before and after my surgery. Do you recommend it? What about the topical arnica gels?
- Do you recommend bromelain tablets for healing?
- What pain medications do you normally prescribe?
- I take (birth control, diet pills, antidepressants, etc.). Will I have any adverse reactions from the prescribed medications or anesthesia?
- Will I need to use cold compresses or ice packs to reduce pain and swelling after surgery? How long, and how often, must they be used?
Surgical Procedure and Other Surgery Questions
- Must I buy and bring with me to the surgery any special bras? If so, where is the best place to purchase these bras and what brands or models do you recommend?
- Do you have hospital privileges should I choose to undergo my procedure in a hospital?
- If not, why don't you have hospital privileges?
- What hospital will I be taken to if a problem develops?
- Is there good access for emergency vehicles at the surgery center?
- Is the surgery center accredited? If so, by what organization?
- If the surgery will be done in the surgeon's own surgical facility, is it accredited and by what organization?
- How is a medical emergency handled?
- Does the surgical facility have the medications and equipment ready at hand to handle a life-threatening emergency? (This is often called a crash cart.)
- What type of anesthesia will you use?
- Who will administer anesthesia?
- Is that person certified to administer anesthesia?
- What do you do to reduce the chance of nausea associated with general anesthesia?
- What kind of monitoring will you or the anesthesiologist or anesthetist do while I am in surgery?
- What kind of monitoring will there be in the recovery room?
- Who will be staffing the recovery room: a doctor, a registered nurse, a physician's assistant, a licensed practical nurse? Does anyone on staff in the recovery room have training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation or advanced cardiovascular life support?
- Will this person have other duties during my recovery that would take him or her out of the room?
- Will there be a lot of swelling and bruising?
- Will there be much pain?
- What suggestions do you have for me to ease discomfort and pain?
- After I go home, if I need anything after hours, how will I be able to get in touch with you or your staff?
- If I have an emergency the night after surgery, what should I do?
- If an emergency arises, and I go to the hospital, will you be the attending physician?
- What are your policies on postoperative visits or care? Is it included in the surgical fee?
- When will my sutures (stitches) be removed?
- How long will it take for my implants to settle?
- Can I go braless after my augmentation?
- Will I lose any sensation in my nipples or breasts postoperatively?
- What should I do to reduce the risk of capsular contracture?
- Do you recommend "compression exercises?"
- Will I have visible scarring? If so, how bad will it be?
- What do you recommend for reducing scars?
- How long do you recommend that I take off from work, school, etc. to heal properly?
- How long until I will be able to walk, exercise, run or participate in my usual activities or sports?
- Do I need to keep to a special diet postoperatively?
- Do you recommend any vitamins or supplements?
- Do you believe my expectations can be met by surgery?
- If my results are not what I wanted, what is your policy on a revision?
- What would you do if I have any complications?
Request for Information
- Do you have a video available of breast augmentation that I may watch?
- May I view your before-and-after photos? Do you have sequential sets?
- May I speak with some patients who have had breast augmentation performed by you?
- Are there any hidden costs that I should know about? For lab work, use of the surgical center, postoperative check-ups, additional medications?
- Is there anything that is not covered in the surgical fee?
- Do you require a deposit to hold my surgery date? If so, how much?
- Do you offer financing?
- Do you expect full payment up front?
- Do you take credit cards?
- May I pay in increments?
- If I change my mind and back out, will my money be refunded?
- How far in advance is it necessary to schedule a surgery date?
- I want to have the surgery done on or by a certain date. Would this be possible?
Breast implant surgery has become one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures in the United States and around the world. BreastImplants4You was established as a comprehensive resource about breast augmentation and breast lift surgery. This one-stop resource includes details about breast implants cost and a breast implants before and after photo gallery.